Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Here we go again...

So, it's been 2 years this time. A lot has changed. I'm working for Dunmire Property Mgt. I'm a property manager for a 118 unit complex with class "C" tenants. More on that in the future. Nanci is working for Calphalon. She is managing an outlet store for them at the Outlets at Castle Rock. Tina is starting to take classes in January at Pike Peak Community College. Lori has a new addition his name is Parker. Lori and her family moved to Nebraska about 2 years ago. They just moved back last month or so. It is wonderful having them back in town.

Last month my mom fell on the sidewalk in front of her house. She bruised her tail bone real bad. She went to the hospital a few days later because of the pain. They sent her home and told her to take some aspirin. A nurse came to check on her a couple of times over the next week. The nurse said she needs to return to the hospital. The hospital kept her a couple of days for observation and then sent her to a nursing home for rehab. They sent her to Crete Manor in Crete NE. I spoke to her daily while she was there. Most of the time she was good, up's down's and sometimes "out of it" do to the pain meds. She was there about 2 weeks. Then she took a turn for the worst. I'm not sure what happened. They sent her back to Lincoln to the hospital, this time to St. Elizabeth (last couple of times to Brian). Nanci, Lori and I went to see her there. It was not a pretty site. They had her sedated, on a feeding tube, respirator etc... She was squirming around like she was uncomfortable. They took MRI's and CAT scans.. they did not know what was wrong. She was in ICU.

Mom has been telling me for several years that if anything happens to her that there is a box in the dining room that I need to remove from the house. It was a trunk. She said it's heavy! She was very addament about this. She even reminded Lori when she lived there to not let me forget out it. She told me to take the contents (coins, mom's been buying from a collectors club) and divide them up among Terry, Patty, Mike and myself. So, while we where there visiting her in the hospital I told Dick that I was stopping by the house to pick up the box. He said they had moved things around in the house so mom could get around better a few weeks ago and he didn't know where it might be. Nanci, Lori and I stopped by the house and the box was in her bedroom. We emptied the contents in to cloth grocery bags because I didn't think the trunk was going to fit in our car. We where only in town Saturday and then returned to Colorado on Sunday.

On the next Tuesday (November, 23) Dick called me at about 1:15 in the afternoon and said mom died about an hour ago. Then at about 4:30 that day I get a call from the Lincoln Police. The officer was asking me if I had been to the house on Saturday and what I took out of the house. I told him what, where, and when. He kept asking about a book and a red purse. I asked him who's purse was missing.. he said it was moms. The book he said was a book that mom wrote down what she wanted everyone to have when she died. Within hours of mom's death, Dick calls the Police on me! Oh, I'm feeling the love! So, I called Dick after speaking with the Police. He accuses me of taking the purse and book along with the coins. I denided knowing about the book or purse. I reminded him that I told him on Saturday I was taking the box with the coins in it and that is what mom told me to do for the past few years. He said "do you have proof she told you this?"... So, now I'm a lair and a thief!

Over the next few days I hear nothing from anyone in NE. No one calls to tell me when the service is, when she is getting cremated, nothing. I called several times and finally Dick answers his cell on Friday and said the service is on Monday and he's busy H\he'll call me back. Never did call me back!

Tina and I are the only one's able to go back for the service. We are heading there on Sunday. I get a call from my sister Patty when we are about 3 hours into our journey. She wants to know if I'm bringing along the coins. I said I had not had time to divide them up or even go through them yet. She tells me the whole family is upset and "pissed off" at me about it. I told her that, that is what mom asked me to do. She told me everyone thinks I'm a thief and that's what I did was BS! After thinking it over, over the next few miles. I called Mike to see what was up. All I could get was a busy signal. So, I called Patty back and said I'm not walking into an ambush and dealing with everyone pissed off and/or the police. I told here that if this box of coins was more important than family and that if they could not trust me to do this, then I will meet you in Brush, CO on Tuesday and you can have them and I don't want anything to do with them. So, we turned around and went back home. As of today, not one person has called me to ask why I was not there! I have not heard from anyone! I did call Patty several times on Tuesday morning to see if she was meeting me. I received a call from her stating she was sick and could not do it that day.

No comments: